Monday 17 November 2008

One-Sided

Chalk up another win for the good guys! It seems so far away that this very team went 0-7 in the preseason with many skeptics wondering if we were even good enough to stay in the league. It is still long from over, but the way our team has come together in the last few months has been pretty special. On Saturday night, we bused up into the Rhone Alpes of the Haut-Savoie region to Chamonix. This is a major tourist spot as it is situated right at the base of Mont Blanc, the highest mountain in the Alps and Western Europe and was also host to the first Winter Olympics in 1924. It was nice to get a little revenge after losing our opening game in Chamonix last year 3-2. This year we walked away with an 8-1 victory and rolling pretty well as we head into our Coupe de France game against Gap on Tuesday.


Nice big dressing rooms in Chamonix. I was able to set up my stall before the game. As you see here, I have all of my equipment neatly placed. Pictured here on my pants are those suspenders I was talking about in a previous article, then there is my ipod on the towel, sticks, and protein shake for post game recovery!

Since the bus ride was going to be pretty long, I decided to take some reading material. One of my roommates here in Epinal, Erwan Agostini thought it was a great idea to get me a book for my birthday so I could learn more about the history of France. I thought this was a very nice gesture by the young Frenchman, when I unwrapped the gift it read "L'Histoire de France pour Les Nuls" (The History of France for Dummies). It is actually very informative, however, the real prize was the gift from his father, "Cuisine Familiale" which has 155 great recipes. If you have been reading my blogs, you know how much I love to eat!

I tend to skip all the way to Napoleon, that guy was a warrior!


Do you mind? I am trying to read here!!!



I will not go into much detail about the game other than to say that is was very one-sided and we dominated throughout. On the first shift I took a high stick in the neck and got a pretty good burn. I was not affected too much by it though at the time, I think watching Braveheart on the bus ride here kind of desensitized me to that stuff and I was grateful my head was not completely cut off by William Wallace and his men. I most note, Mel Gibson also speaks French very well.


Oh ya I am so tough! You can see the mark from the "Guillotine" as they attempted to behead me. Still finished the game.

It could not be complete unless I mention what we ate! As I predicted the Tartiflette, I was wrong and quite frankly, very disappointed. We had dry pasta again, no sauce and some beef. Looked a bit like dog food actually haha. I am only kidding, it was pretty good, tasted better with the red wine, but I had high hopes and anything less than potatoes smothered in Reblochon cheese and mixed in with lardons would not get my approval. Winning the game though, that makes everything taste better!

2 comments:

sebmaster said...

hey m_ i like reading your blog and your history from the inside of the game...i used to play hockey at epinal during 11 years from 6 til17 and played with rge 2 guillaume and anthony even if they were 2/3 youger than me....hope you ll continue the season like this and that you ll continue your blog.....cheers seb robin

Rob said...

allez allez allez, gervais gervais gervais!!!